For those that were not at closing ceremonies we just wanted to put out a post to announce the Shmoocon Firetalks 2016 winners. Before this though I would like to thank everyone that made Firetalks possible this year. First, I would like to thank our sponsors. Each of their contributions covered prizes for the best speakers and audience give-aways.
- Platinum: @armitagehacker / CobaltStrike.com
- Gold: @digininja and @webbreacher
- Silver: @tikrascorp / Tikras.com
- Bronze: @Arrow_Ventures / Arrow-Ventures.com
For those that were not able to attend the talks, judging was done a little different this year. In a play on “American Idol” the judges sat on stage and gave their thoughts and commentary after each talk. This year our judges included @spacerog, @jaysonstreet, @briankrebs, and @jasonmoliver. I would like to thank them again for taking time out of their busy schedules to participate.
Volunteers also played an important part in ensuring we adhered to Shmoocon rules as well as provided some fun and videos. Thanks goes out to @scriptingxss and @cryptoishard for making sure everyone had Shmoocon badges, @joeklein for providing some spirits, and @irongeek_adc for recording everything (he had them out the very next morning!). Lastly, I would like to thank Shmoocon, @gdead, and especially @heidishmoo for having us again this year.
Now on to the winners…
- 1st: $500 gift certificate to Amazon … “Failure to Warn You Might Get Pwned” by Wendy Knox Everette (@wendyck)
- 2nd: $250 gift certificate to Hacker Warehouse … “Jailbreaking a Digital Two-Way Radio” by Travis Goodspeed (@travisgoodspeed)
- 3rd: $125 gift certificate to Think Geek … “Red Team Upgrades Using SCCM for Malware Deployment” by Matt Nelson (@enigma0x3)
Also of note @travisgoodspeed graciously requested that I donate the proceeds of his award to Hacker for Charity. Here is Wendy’s winning talk that explored how product liability suits might help consumers who suffer harm from vulnerabilities in software. You can find the rest of the talks over at IronGeek’s site.
Today’s post pic is from Scott Maxwell. See ya!