American University is looking for a Senior Information Security Engineer to add to their staff. This position is a great opportunity for someone with moderate experience in a related field and a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science. A professional security certificate is a plus.
And don’t forget … if your organization is interested in posting their career opportunities here, head on over to our Job Board page for all the details. Well anyway … on to the job post.
Senior Information Security Engineer
This position assists with the planning, design and implementation of technology and procedures designed to maintain the confidentiality, availability and integrity of the university’s information resources, computer and networking systems. The incumbent also assists in the development of standards and procedures for implementing security policies throughout all of the university’s electronic communication systems, and monitors all systems to ensure that their integrity is preserved. The position requires minimal supervision.
- A professional security certification (i.e., CISSP, ISSP, SSCP, GIAC, etc.) is highly desirable.
- Experience with Log management, analysis, and monitoring, Virtual Private Networks, Virtualization, Firewalls, Web Application Security concepts and Intrusion Detection/Prevention systems is expected.
- Strong technical background is required in operating systems (UNIX/Linux, Windows, MacOS), Internet applications (electronic mail, web, DNS/DHCP, TCP/IP), desktop software (Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, virus detection programs), encryption (SSL, TLS, IPSEC) and networking hardware and software.
- Must understand protocols and standards such as TCP/IP, LDAP and 802.1x; network management tools such as SNMP, and process improvement models such at CMMI/ITIL.
- A background in utility scripting and programming (Python, Powershell and Bash) and network operations in a higher education setting is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written English skills are required.
A Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field plus 8 – 10 years of relevant work experience, or equivalent in education, training and experience is required.
The successful completion of a pre-employment background check is required. The salary offered will commensurate with experience.
The incumbent will be in a position of trust which requires high standards of personal and professional integrity. The position requires that certain duties be regularly performed outside of normal working hours and requires the incumbent to carry a University provided mobile phone. The position also requires that the incumbent perform “on call” duties that may require transportation to the University computing facilities.
About American University
American University is among the top 100 national universities and includes six distinguished schools and colleges. AU was recognized in 2013 by Computerworld’s survey of the top 100 Best Places to Work in IT and placed 5th in the survey for Benefits. AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 2:1 matching plan for retirement contributions and a tuition remission plan for employees and their families. AU actively promotes international understanding, which is reflected in the university’s course offerings, faculty research, and the regular presence of world leaders on campus. Sitting atop Embassy Row, only a few miles from downtown Washington’s centers of government, business, research, commerce, and art, the 84-acre traditional-style main campus is located in a scenic residential area of northwest Washington. With overall financial strength, AU is one of a handful of universities whose bond rating was recently upgraded by Moody’s to A+.
Follow Up Contact Information
For additional information and to apply, head on over to its requisition.