BAE is looking for a highly skilled and motivated kernel engineer to work on a high-security operating system in Herndon, VA. Do you want to apply your security expertise to the lowest levels of computing? Do you value quality and correctness above all else? Then maybe this position is for you.
And don’t forget … if your organization is interested in posting their career opportunities here, head on over to our Job Board page for all the details. Well anyway … on to the job post.
Secure Systems (Kernel) Engineer
BAE Systems’ CyberSecurity Solutions team is looking for an operating systems kernel engineer to work as part of the STOP OS development team. The candidate will design, implement, and test enhancements and fixes to a proprietary, UNIX-inspired secure operating system kernel.
An understanding of operating system concepts such as virtual memory, file systems, device drivers, virtualization, and process scheduling is required. The candidate should be comfortable developing software in a Linux environment and be familiar with the Linux system call interface.
Familiarity with software security concepts such as vulnerability, exploitation, and mitigation, is essential. Tools used in daily work include gcc, make, objdump, uClibc, subversion, Bugzilla, MediaWiki, etc.
Example tasks may include:
- Write thorough tests for system call interfaces
- Use the kernel debugger to verify correct system operation and troubleshoot problems
- Instrument performance-critical code to identify and reduce performance bottlenecks
- Review code for security vulnerabilities such as buffer overflow or string injection
- Port and test existing open-source applications to work on the STOP operating system
- Writing and/or porting device drivers
- Developing/enhancing core kernel features
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- Proficient in C programming using UNIX/Linux system calls (the section 2 man pages)
- Self-starter with a desire to learn and a motivated “get it done” attitude
- Able to receive and give constructive, critical feedback in peer code review
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exposure to network socket programming
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Diverse interests and a passion for technology
- Proficiency in assembly (Intel x86) and/or familiarity with processor capabilities
- Secure coding experience or certification (GSSP-C)
- Common Criteria, DCID 6/3, other security evaluation or accreditation schemes
- Experience with embedded, RTOS, separation kernel, or VMM implementation Exposure to high-level scripting languages (Perl, Python, Shell, etc.)
- C++ and/or Java
About BAE Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 100,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
Information Solutions, based in Reston, Virginia, is among the 10 largest IT providers to the U.S. government, serving most of the federal defense and civilian marketplace. It provides network-centric command, control, computing, and intelligence (C3I) solutions; wideband networking radio systems; information systems for the U.S. intelligence community; geospatial information services; and information technology services. Leveraging its knowledge of signals and data derived from signals, Information Solutions has attained a market-leading position in advanced information technology research, intelligence analysis and production, and geospatial exploitation software.
People are the greatest asset in any Company …
BAE Systems is committed to a high performance culture and provides an environment that challenges our employees to be remarkable and obtain their full potential.
We are an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer that understands the value of diversity and its impact on a high performance culture.
Join us …
Follow-Up Contact Information
For additional information and to apply, head on over to its requisition.