If you’re not already following some of our excellent NovaInfosec Twits and are wondering where to get the best NoVA-, DC-, and MD-related security tweets, look no further than this post. Published every Friday, our “Infosec Ramblings” post takes many of my security tweets/RTs from the past week and puts them into one easy to digest post. And if you don’t want to wait an entire week, just stop on by my @grecs Twitter account.
There seemed to be quite a few meetups this past week. Did you get to attend any of them? And don’t forget … there are two 2600 meetups later this evening.
- #MEETUP Holy heck! Look at time! CapSec is NEXT WED! Stetson’s, 1610 U Street, around 5, yadda yadda. See you there! (via @capsecdc) #
- #MEETUP W/ so much going on, we’re testing waters w/ meetup grp 2 get word out. Join at http://bit.ly/dze4dW (via @hacdc) #
- Reminder: InfraGard NCMA Meetup @ Tue Jun 29 6pm – 8:30pm (NovaInfosecPortal.com Calendar) (via @novainfosec) #
- #MEETUP Updated our meetup URL since last tweet! Join our meetup grp. “Use your brain again.” http://bit.ly/beQktG (via @hacdc) #
- Reminder: CapSecDC Meetup @ Wed Jun 30 6pm – 9pm (NovaInfosecPortal.com Calendar) (via @novainfosec) #
If you didn’t have time to make it to any of the weekly security meetups, why not try attending one of these upcoming conferences?
- #CON Digital SANS Forensics/IR Summit 2010: Advanced Persistent Threat Panel Questions Released! http://bit.ly/dDktdc (via @taosecurity) #
- #CON Planning my trip 2 SANS “What Works in Forensics & Incident Response Summit 2010” http://bit.ly/aA7fOK (via @angelinaward) #
- #CON NIST 2 hold symposium on 7/27, Cybersecurity & Innovation in Info Economy http://bit.ly/b4780Y (via @danphilpott) #
For those of you that don’t know, we have some pretty awesome infosec bloggers in the local area. You can check out some of their articles below.
- #NOVABLOGGER: Secure UR WordPress by Learning fr My Mistakes http://bit.ly/ah34aW (via @novainfosec) [Gr8 read 4 all bloggers.] #
- #NOVABLOGGER: iPhone Geo Blocking http://bit.ly/bwlGYT (via @novainfosec) [Tx @mubix. Any quick ways of rm loc data fr existing pics?] #
- #NOVABLOGGER Thinking a/b Cloud Security & Vuln Research: 3 True Outcomes http://bit.ly/bYuyBM #
- #NOVABLOGGER: Firefox Saved PWs http://bit.ly/aYX33I http://j.mp/nispblog (via @novainfosec) [B sure 2 set master pw!] #
In case you missed them, here were some of our blog posts from this week.
- BLOGGED: Grecs’ Weekly Infosec Ramblings for 2010-06-24 http://bit.ly/bIUlsl #
- BLOGGED: Top 3 NoVA Infosec Blog Posts of the Week http://bit.ly/ckRXsw #
- BLOGGED: Where You Want to Be This Week for 2010-06-28 http://bit.ly/cfCHbJ #
- BLOGGED: Cookie Use … How Agencies Should Set Example for Broader Industry http://bit.ly/c3ASpP #
- BLOGGED: IE6 ‘More Security’ than Chrome/Opera … Really? http://bit.ly/daovt7 #
I noticed a lot of career-related information as well as a number of job posts.
- #JOB Looking 4 candidates interested in data analytics/mining http://bit.ly/9JTqtt (via @DuvalSearch) [1 NoVA spot too.] #
- #JOB Ever wanted 2 lead a #DHS #cybersec ctr? http://bit.ly/bURVgu (NCCIC Director job posting) (via @werntzp) #
- #JOB Prepare for Careers in the Cloud http://bit.ly/bSXMBq [Some career advice to consider.] #
- #JOB VA & CA Security Specialist – JASON Program FSO: Location: McLean, VA an.. http://bit.ly/duASN6 #
- #JOB NoVA Sr IT Audit opening, 3-7yrs exp, GCC’s, App, SDLC reviews. CISA preferred. http://bit.ly/bxFJYK #
- #JOB Stratum looking 4 ppl w/ nunchuku, bow hunting, & hacking skills. Mostly hacking tho http://bit.ly/94cvOr (via @packetwerks) #
And if you work in the federal government space, you’ll definitely want to take a look at these posts.
- Agencies Get Rdy 4 FISMA Changes http://bit.ly/aBnIAX (via @danphilpott) #
- WH Unveils Online Authentication Plan: Internet Fraud, ID Theft Prompts Nt’l Strategy 4 Trust Initiative http://bit.ly/cpQKCr #
- Use TrueCrypt 2 encrypt ur sensitive data,.. Don’t cross border w/ unencrypted data. http://bit.ly/cdduNL (via @GoldbergLawDC) #
- BREAKING: Supreme Court strikes down SOX http://bit.ly/bgHXeU (via @alexhutton) [Just part of it. Not whole thing.] #
- #NEWS OMB Ends Fed Agency Cookie Ban http://bit.ly/aO1wlH [Decision 2 use opt-in/out up 2 agency. As exple all shld use opt-in.] #
- #EDU NIST has online course “Applying Risk Mgmt Framework to Fed Info Systems” http://bit.ly/9c04rR (via @danphilpott) #
- Supreme Court Ruling Will Have Little Impact On SOX.. Sorry http://bit.ly/9p1aUl [Commentary no morning’s big news.] #
- NIST rel SP 800-53A Rev 1 Guide 4 Assessing Security Ctrls in Fed Info Systems/Orgs http://bit.ly/92G8xc (via @danphilpott) #
And in closing, you can also keep yourself busy with these interesting newsbites:
- How 2 Access the Internet (A Guide fr Year 2025) http://bit.ly/dg0U5l (via @mikkohypponen @drinfosec) [Slipperly slope?] #
- Hacker High http://bit.ly/bj9cdP [Just a reminder and a trip down memory lane.] #
- Google Can Kill or INSTALL Apps on Androids http://bit.ly/8Xt6jy [Whoa!] #
- Rancid IE6 ‘More Secure’ than Chrome/Opera US Bank Says http://bit.ly/cbhlak [Really? Again there’s that “more secure” argument.] #
- Russian Spy Ring Bust Uncovers Tech Toolkit http://bit.ly/at3sSL [Fascinating read.] #
- How 2 B Better Spy: Cybersec Lessons fr Recent Russian Spy Arrests http://bit.ly/b8ns2N (via @sans_isc) [Nice follow-up.] #
- Facebook Apps Must Now Seek Permission 4 User Data http://bit.ly/bDdcpO [Definately a step in right direction.] #
- The Failure Of Cryptography To Secure Modern Networks http://bit.ly/bdwjQG [Nice read.] #
- Top Apps Largely Forgo Built-In Windows Security Protections http://bit.ly/cMIVZL (via @briankrebs) [Nice read.] #
- Social Security Number Format http://bit.ly/c5NQ4F (via @carnal0wnage) [Awesome find!] #
- How 2 Stay Safe on Public Wi-Fi Nets http://bit.ly/aydfJd (via @bvPredator) [Basic but timely given Starbuck’s new free service.] #
- #EDU 15 Must-Listen Podcasts 4 Security Pros http://bit.ly/9rUN9z [Great list! L listen 2 about 5 of them.] #
Well, that’s all for this week. And hey, you should congratulate me for not mentioning the “L” word. And I only mentioned the “F” word once. 🙂 Anyway, be sure to follow me on Twitter at @grecs for more great tweets during the week! See ya…