As some of you may have noticed, our “Ramblings” post usually comes out on Monday. But, due to a new feature on Monday (you’ll just have to wait and see what it is!) we’re doing our “Ramblings” post on Fridays. Plus: It gives you something interesting to read when you’re supposed to be doing work. 🙂
So… we’re trying to navigate this whole Facebook thing…
- And BTW, my reserved name is .. grecs .. http://www.facebook.com/grecs. Don’t do much besides push tweets over to it so far. #
And speaking of Facebook:
- 10 TIPS 4 FACEBOOK PRIVACY: I’m trying to get in2 whole FB thing again and came across this article. Good read. http://ow.ly/pmhW #
There seemed to be quite a few meetups this past week. Did any of you attend any of them?
- RT @baltimorenode: Stop by Node tonight for open hacking hours from 7-9pm. Everyone welcome! http://ow.ly/pSXr #mtg #
- Looks like fun! RT @OWASPNoVA: THURSDAY: Hands-on Fortify 360 training! http://ow.ly/pnLq #mtg #
There’s also some upcoming meetups for those of you who are interested.
- RT @baltimorenode: Guitar pedal modding class this Saturday at the Node! Less than 24hrs to register! http://ow.ly/pvkQ #mtg #
- RT @baltimorenode: Learn to solder class at the Node! Build your own multimeter! http://ow.ly/pvmj #mtg #
We were also pretty busy this week.
- Nice lunch with @rybolov today! Discussed strategic thingies. #
- Had lunch with @pmhesse of @geminisecurity today. Great discussion on what’s wrong with this world – from an infosec perspective. 😉 #
- S. MD too. 🙂 RT @pmhesse: Had good time at lunch w/ @grecs 2day. DC/NoVa folks looking 4 sec info & mtgs visit http://ow.ly/pHvJ! #
For those of you that don’t know, @rybolov is one of the awesome infosec bloggers in the local area. You can check out some of the other bloggers below.
- COMPLIANCINESS: @cyberhiker has a new blog post out that defines complianciness. http://ow.ly/pSGN #novablogger #
- NESSUS CORRECTION: @room362 / @mubix notes correction on Nessus using NMAP fr Securabit podcast. http://ow.ly/pFFH #novablogger #
- STATE OF SECURITY METRICS: @geminisecurity ‘s new post. We got a lot further to go. http://ow.ly/pFmP #novablogger #
- DOJOSEC VID: @DojoSec just put out this vid of Matt Fisher fr Aug. http://ow.ly/pyiL #novablogger #
But don’t think that you need to be in the NoVA area to be considered a local blogger!
- Note u don’t have to b in NoVA to be a #novablogger. I count DC and S. MD too. So please let me know if u want to b included. #
In case you missed them, here were some of our blog posts from this week.
- BLOGGED: Baltimore Node Meetup Tuesday, 09-22: Normal Meeting http://ow.ly/15P7G9 #
- BLOGGED: HacDC Infosec Meetup Monday, 09-21: Microcontroller Mondays http://ow.ly/15P7Gb #
- BLOGGED: Update: OWASP – VA Location Has Changed http://ow.ly/15PuaL #
- BLOGGED: CharmSec Infosec Meetup Event – Thursday, 09-24: Normal Meeting http://ow.ly/15Pv6g #
- BLOGGED: Grec’s Weekly Infosec Ramblings for 2009-09-14 http://ow.ly/15OYIS #
- BLOGGED: ISSA – NoVA Chapter Infosec Meetup Event – Thursday, 09-17: Accreditation of a PL4 System http://ow.ly/15OZnK #
- BLOGGED: ISSA – DC Chapter Infosec Meetup Event Tomorrow, 09-15: Software Development and CSSLP http://ow.ly/15OXHp #
- BLOGGED: Top 3 NoVA Infosec Blog Posts of the Week http://ow.ly/15OYcf #
- BLOGGED: OWASP – VA Local Chapter Infosec Meetup Event – Thursday, 09-17: “Fortify 360? (Updated) http://ow.ly/15PpD2 #
For those of you who have been looking for a good (but cheap) book to read, you might want to try this one:
- FREE CISSP BOOK: Haven’t read but can’t beat price. RT @danphilpott: Rehman rel new draft of book 4 download. http://ow.ly/pSy3 #edu #
You can also keep yourself busy with these interesting newsbites:
- GOV CLOUD COMPUTING: @GovInfoSecurity looks at new apps.gov site. Interesting. http://ow.ly/pytT #
- MORE ON GOV CLOUD: @SCMagazine has art out too. Security-wise need local clouds. Do these services offer that? http://ow.ly/pyuJ #
- SEPTEMBER CRYPTO-GRAM: @schneierblog is out with this month’s edition. http://ow.ly/pyOX #
- PHYSICISTS CHOOSE INFOSEC: Interesting read on various ways people get in2 infosec career. There is no 1 way. http://ow.ly/pyXL #job #
- MALWARE PERSISTENCE: http://ow.ly/pyZC says stays around longer (1yr) than thought (6wks). I would have thunk until OS reinstalled. #cmt #
- 2 NEW MS SDL TOOLS: Wow, MS on roll lately. @SCMagazine reports release of 2 free #tool s 4 software secure dev. http://ow.ly/pI5g #
- AV ONLY 23% EFFECTIVE: @DarkReading has art out that shows Zeus Trojan is only detected 23% of the time by AV. http://ow.ly/pJyL #
- OMG check out this quote fr article – “Of the Zeus-infected bots, 31 percent weren’t running any AV program ..” WTF! #
- WATCH YOUR CELL PHONE: Interesting story on hacking cell phones for $30. Nice but how do I stop it fr happening? http://ow.ly/pJE1 #
- WEB 2.0 SECURITY RISKS: Study proves obvious again. The more complex things R, the more sec probs you’ll likely have. http://ow.ly/pJEy #
- Yeah, this is way 2 go. Wonder if Google Appliance will b able 2 do. RT @IBMFedCyber 5 reasons 2 choose Private Cloud http://ow.ly/pGwo #
- This is awesome! RT @mckeay: RT @geekgrrl: RT @Lifehacker: Maximize Firefox 3.5’s Viewing Area http://ow.ly/pHp6 #
If you still have some time after all of that, why not take 5 minutes to check this out?
- SEPT VULN REPORT: Got 5 mins? @VRT_Sourcefire just put out this month’s vuln report video. http://ow.ly/pkmE #
And in closing, who could forget the tweet of the week?