So, what was on everyone’s minds this week? Spam… and the Swine Flu, apparently. Leave it to the spammers to take advantage of a horrible situation.
- Spammers will def b doing. RT @mckeay srt planning 4 the impact of the swine flu, as well as the spam that will inevitably srt circulating #
- Here comes the spam. RT @mckeay Just found the first swine flu spam in my own mailbox. What a surprise. Not. #
- Here’s the official US CERT warning. RT: @uscert_gov: Swine Flu Phishing Attacks and Email Scams http://tinyurl.com/cnjgne #
- SWINE FLU SPAM: @mckeay called it first about the forthcoming barrage of spam. http://tinyurl.com/d2cknl #
- MORE SWINE FLU: Then it started happening. Others tweeted it & several articles were written about it. Here’s one. http://tinyurl.com/dj6l88 #
- SWINE … FINAL: Ok, just one more comment. Spammers are very smart for doing this but it’s wrong! #commentary #
- SWINE SPAM: Not to much news today except a few articles on an increase in swine-related spam as expected. http://tinyurl.com/cw5kao #
- LOL RT @BrickandClick Want To Avoid Swine Flu? There’s An App For That Too -> http://bit.ly/t4Q9n #
As if the Swine Flu spam wasn’t bad enough, it turns out that the vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader are bigger than we thought.
- ADOBE VULN (CONT): As I noted earlier, scripting needs 2 b off by default! Or u can just use FoxIt as suggested by @jack_daniel. #commentary #
- ADOBE VULN: Another vulnerability caused by scripting. Geez, this needs to be off by default! http://tinyurl.com/ca44ys #commentary #
- New comment on “Another Adobe Reader security hole emerges” http://bit.ly/WmLrR #
When you pair both problems with the biggest security vulnerability of all time, it’s not pretty.
- CORE INFOSEC PROBLEM: Once again here is another story that shows people are the primary problem. http://tinyurl.com/d4p7uc #
- PEOPLE PROBLEMS: It all comes back 2 awareness training – and making it exciting and interesting. I know … this is hard to do. #commentary
- RT: @IBMFedCyber: Anyone else going to the SANS AppSec Summit on Wednesday? I will be there.. would love to tweetup. #SANS #infosec #
And OWASP has officially announced AppSecDc 2009!
- RT @mubix RT @securitycfp: RT @AppSecDC09: AppSecDC 2009 Call 4 Papers & Call 4 Trainers now Open! Details hre: http://bit.ly/ZVgpO #CFP #
- RT @AppSecDC09 AppSecDC 2009 is looking 4 Volunteers. If interested join R mailing list! http://bit.ly/16CPc Or reply or DM yr interest hre #
But depending on what happens with some of the major cybersecurity acts in the next few months, AppSecDc might offer some different topics than normal.
- RT: @danphilpott: RT @ITCompliance: BREAKING: ICE Act would restructure #cybersecurity rule, create WH post http://bit.ly/JzYmC … #
- RT @danphilpott Washington Post has a link to a draft copy of the ICE Act: http://is.gd/v5UU (with a hat tip to @ITCompliance) #
- RT @danphilpott First article I’ve seen for yesterday’s ISC2 report on Fed CISO Cybersecurity perspective: http://is.gd/vQAP #
- OMG, work tgthr. RT @danphilpott Whole new cybersec bill: Critical Electric Infrastructure Protection Act was introd 2day: http://is.gd/vqLU #
- LOL. RT @danphilpott The first rule of Cloud club is, you have to make ObMatrix references. #totw #
- 🙂 RT @danphilpott Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Cloud is. You have to verify it for yourself. #totw #
- RT @rybolov @danphilpott Carper’s supposed to (re)introduce his new(old) FISMA (2008|9) bill. #
It will be an interesting time for people who are just getting into security. (Or, security internships.)
- RT: @CSOonline: 10 Dos and Don’ts for Security Job Interviews: http://www.csoonline.com/article/490926 #job #
But if we all follow some of Marcus’s excellent advice, things should be just fine.
- RT @marcusjcarey New Vlog Post – Sexism in Information Security? > http://twurl.nl/44h0rv #novablogger #
- RT @marcusjcarey New Vlog Post – Toot Your Own Horn! – http://twurl.nl/xoqotf #novablogger #
- RT @marcusjcarey New Vlog Entry – Own Your Technical Interview – http://twurl.nl/omq8u1 #novablogger #
- RT @marcusjcarey New Vlog Post – What Tool Should Everyone Know? – http://twurl.nl/286tg4 #novablogger #
- RT: @marcusjcarey: New Vlog – Hack Your Degree – http://twurl.nl/ia1xzh – How I got 4 yrs of credit in 12 months #novablogger #
Plus, we always have CharmSec…
- RT @mubix RT @charmsec: CharmSec 12 is this Wednesday at Slainte. #
- RT @mubix RT @charmsec: CharmSec Challenge: http://is.gd/u522 bring yr solution 4/29 & get free round (or something). Don’t leak yr answer! #
And, new Twitter tools to cheer us up.
- Cool new tool. Kind of like Twitpic but with voicemail. RT: @RodBeckstrom: Voice_Message_Tuesday_28_Apr_09_59PM http://tinyurl.com/db7gqz #
Have something to say? Then why not write about it for NovaInfosecPortal? We’re currently looking for some great guest bloggers to feature on the site. If you’re interested, drop us a line, or send us a tweet @grecs.