Sunday looked to be packed with some very interesting talks in the Build It track at this years ShmooCon infosec conference event. I really wanted to see “Hacking Windows Vista Security” by Dan Griffin and “Path X: Explosive Security Testing Tools using XPath” by Andre Gironda et al. but unfortunately I slept in and would have missed Dan’s presentation at 10:00. So it didn’t seem worth an hour commute and another $25 in parking for one talk. I plan on watching these videos and will update this post when I do.
For commentary of some of the sessions, here are some good blog posts describing them:
- Dan Griffin’s Blog: ShmooCon 2008 – Day 3 Recap
Additionally, here is a list of good overall con recaps:
- Eating Security: Shmoocon 2008 Notes
- Hak.5: Post ShmooCon Thoughts
- Hak.5: Shmoocon Special
- PaulDotCom.com: In Episode 99 of their podcast, Larry gives an update from ShmooCon.
Comprehensive Conference Schedule
Here is a comprehensive list of Sunday’s schedule talks as well as links to the presentations and videos. Descriptions of each session and speaker bios can be found at the ShmooCon’s speaker page:
- Hacking Windows Vista Security (Dan Griffin): Presentation, Video
- Vulncatcher: Fun with Vtrace and Programmatic Debugging (atlas): Presentation, Video
- Path X: Explosive Security Testing Tools using XPath (Andre Gironda, Marcin Wielgoszewski and Tom Stracener): Presentation, Video
- Malware Software Armoring Circumvention (Danny Quist): Presentation, Video
- 0wn the Con (The Shmoo Group): Presentation, Video
- PEAP: Pwned Extensible Authentication Protocol (Josh Wright and Brad Antoniewicz): Presentation, Video
Bring It On!
- When Lawyers Attack! Dealing with the New Rules of Electronic Discovery (John Benson, Esq.): Presentation, Video
- The Geek and the Gumshoe or Can Mathematics and Computers Really Solve Crimes? (Michael Schearer and Frank Thornton): Presentation, Video
- How do I Pwn Thee? Let Me Count the Ways (RenderMan): Presentation, Video
- On the Social Responsibility of Hackers (Panel: Bruce Potter (moderator), Simple Nomad, Johnny Long, Rick Dakan, TBD): Presentation, Video
- Closing Remarks: Presentation, Video
Even though I didn’t get to attend as many sessions as last year, I still found this year’s ShmooCon a great experience. There was a nice variety of topics, vendors, and attendees as well as lots of networking opportunities. I would like to thank The Shmoo Group for another excellent conference.